Thursday, April 20, 2006

First three priorities...

Setting first priorties for restoring Athena...
Captain John of Naples, FL took a look at Athena and set the first priorities....
First three as follows:
1. Clean bilge.
2. Get bilge pump working.
3. Get engine running on a regular basis.

With todo list in hand, I single-handedly start working on Athena...
To date I've been cleaning the bilge and engine. In the midst of cleaning the bilge I discovered the old diesel fuel tank was leaking. So, out of the boat came the fuel tank. and, one more thing to learn... how to bleed an engine...
Using the old engine manual, I've been learning all about Athena's 15 hp Yanmar diesel engine. I'm in the process of replacing the thermostat, two anticorrosion zincs in the sea water cooling system, cleaning up old corrosion and changing out the hoses of the cooling water system, and replacing the water pump. I've also been replacing old hose clamps and spraying anticorrosion on everything!

Prior to meeting Capt. John, I had changed out all running rigging (except roller furling) from wire/rope combo to all rope. I used the Bristol yahoo group to get advice on this replacement. Did the entire replacement on my own in Jan/Feb 2006, without a trip up the mast !

Sails haven't been on Athena since before Hurricane Wilma, was hoping to get those back on after replacing running rigging, but a continuous supply of gifts from nearby nesting Ospreys, as well as some needed repairs to sails, has prevented their return to the sailboat thus far...

No comments: