Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Summer Wildlife and the Grain Moon

This evening I saw lots of wildlife, mostly on my run through the mangroves and over the Goodland Bridge. Sightings included my most favorite summer visitors, black skimmers, a bunch of mangrove bats, a black crowned night heron flying over head, the typical osprey, a raccoon, tarpon and jacks in the snooklight aquarium, and of course little green herons all about the finger dock.
After my run I got back to the marina to catch this picture of the moon... of course the picture doesn't do near the justice of the beauty that was seen. Earlier and closer to the horizon, the moon was an incredible sight to see... I ran screaming (in my head) as I was attacked by ferocious mosquitoes while i was attempting to get this picture... ouch.
a night shot... you can only imagine how still i tried to be... such great mosquito bait i was ;)
click on the pic to see in more detail :)

2 comments:

Beth H said...

What a fabulous picture!

And luckyily you will have a little vacation from mosquito bait soon...well, once I can go through the gobs of fabric in 'your' room! I'm excited for both you coming and the reorg.

Mary said...

Quite the week for this beautiful moon! Early Tuesday morning there was a lunar eclipse. And though I couldn't get a picture of the moonrise on Monday evening, it was spectacular over the bay in Boston. Made the long drive from Western Mass to the Boston area seem worth it just for those few seconds of beauty. Your shot of the moon was worth all the grief.