Saturday, September 09, 2006

The Dock is Bare

This last friday I worked all day then went for a great run on the beach. The sunset was beautiful. Heat lightning dancing across the sky over the tree tops.

A pink like one thousand Spoonbills reflecting on the clouds against the blue of heaven and framed by wonderful white wisps.
Back home and glad I made it past the snake infested (a.k.a. saw one large black snake once....) walk to the dock, a smile on my face, I stood peering into the darkness at the end of the dock thinking, "who kicked my solar shower into the water?" and "surely the crabs didn't all join forces and pick the solar shower teeming with lukewarm water and toss it over the side?"... "who would have done such a thing?"
Well, the dock was bare for sure. no matter how long i starred into the darkness, no nice lukewarm solar shower to come home to after a nice hot sultry (a.k.a. very humid) run on the beach appeared.
One of the problems with being tied to a solar shower is the requirement that one fill it with water and put it out on the dock (or deck of boat) to heat nicely in the sun all day...
Sometimes when leaving for work at 6:30am, it's difficult to remember, let alone feel like, filling the solar shower with water... that was the case this past friday... only, i'd forgotten that i hadn't put it out to warm... otherwise, i would have skipped the run.
alas. i showered with the last bit (perhaps a little less than a gallon) of cool water remaining in the solar shower that had been hanging in the AC boat all day...
Perhaps that is why my muscles decided to wake me at 1:30am! at least though i could calmly lie awake, knowing that my Evil Eye was protecting me from the crabs ;)

2 comments:

Mary said...

The crabs reminded me of a story of your father and a nice big pail of crabs. He and his cousin were at the beach together with their families and spent much of the day collecting a nice big pail of live crabs. Of course, the end of the day came and what do you do with all these crabs that were trying to get out of the pail. Their moms told them to go "dump the crabs out". Their moms didn't say "Where!" so they found an interesting place to dump them, on two unsuspecting women sunning themselves on a blanket. I've heard that the screaming women and scrurrying crabs were quite a sight to behold!

Zen Jen said...

That also reminds me of the time I attempted to grab a baby crab under some rocks at Salisbury Beach, MA, when the momma crab hiding in the shadows launched out and grabbed a hold of my finger!
ouch! Luckily, the crabs that hang around the dock near my boat are much smaller and usually scurry the other way ;)