Monday, September 04, 2006

Motivating to go backwards...


After being MIA from friends, family, and even sometimes work for three months of May through July, this past August it's been difficult to get motivated again and September's been no different. And, I'm so so close to having Athena ready to go sailing...
So, I motivate this 4th day of September, and now that the day is over, I wonder if I'm further behind than when I started the day. I know I'm not, but it sure feels that way.
As usual, Patty was either under foot or overseeing the action ;)
The tasks I set out to do never seem to be the ones I actually end up working on... today was no different.
There are two fresh water tanks in Athena; one beneath the cushions in the Vbirth and one beneath the floor in the salon. The one in the Vbirth drains by gravity to the one in the salon. To stop the flow from higher Vbirth tank to lower salon tank, I replaced old with a new handy dandy valve (which lies next to a transducer I have yet to figure out what it does...). This task involves a trip to the hardware store... then a trip to West Marine... then a trip back to the hardware store... Course, that's what it's like every task, why should this one be any different !
Patty sits on the Vbirth water tank and looks as if to say "whatchya gonna to do about it!"
Meanwhile struggling trying to fit 1/2" I.D. tube onto 3/4" O.D. tank fittings is next to impossible and now it's too late to go back to the hardware store. And Eileen Quinn sings on my radio... "I love sailing, except for when I'm hanging, over the railing..."

Next task... stop the drip drip drip that keeps my Vbirth bed semi-dry instead of dry!
I've been thinking it's the gasket... So, I replace both gaskets, one each on the two hatches of Athena, and wait as the rain comes again...
Yup, that's the mast I see looking up from the Vbirth.
But, alas, the drip drip drop does not stop.
Upon further inspection I realize it's the sealant around the plexiglass that's cracked in one corner. That task will have to wait until a dry day when I can get full use of a tube of silicone, or until I find clear caulk and take on the dreadful task of recaulking the hatch... Arrrgh.
"I love sailing, except for all those times when, my courage is failing" - Eileen Quinn

So, I give up for today, shower, and remember, even though my fresh water system still isn't done and my hatch is still leaking over my bed, I have so much more than most people in this world. I am thankful for all that I have.

"then he brings me a sunset with a green flash
and he gives me a bow wave where the dolphins splash
and we go dancing on the beach in our bare feet
life doesn't get much better than this, so I admit defeat
because I love sailing, and the alternative is quickly paling"
I Love Sailing by Eileen Quinn

5 comments:

Mary said...

Where can I find the full poem by Eileen Quinn? By the way I looked up Alexis and the earliest most famouse Alexis was a Greek comedy poet who lived a bit after the time of Alexander the Great. I was thinking that perhaps Alexis is a version of Alexander and they are both Greek in origin. Alexander studied under Aristotle. Alexander has both a good side and a bad side tied to his history but no one can agree which is the truth. What they do agree on is that he was a masterful military leader (could he be like Athena in terms of being a strategic type of genius?). Wikipedia has interesting info on both Alexis and Alexander. There is also a catamaran out there for hire for chartering that is named the Alexis. The catamaran plies the waters of the Virgin Islands. I was surprised to find out that Alexis is a male name. I had thought Alexis to be a female name and I did find lots of females when I googled it.

Anonymous said...

Hi Jen glad your enjoying the Eileen Quinn CD!!

Mary, Eileen is a modern Canadian seagoing folk singer who we've shared a few anchorages with. I think she has a ships log/blog which you can link through Boat US cruising logs. The CD Jen is enjoying is called No significant features. Thats a common weather phrase we all like to hear listening to the WX forecast on the VHF radio. Her second CD was a little bit down or depressing. I haven't listened to her third.

Anonymous said...

PS Eileen's boat name for the Boat US cruising log is "Little Gidding."

And Jen don't read the ITHICA logs or you won't be able to concentrate on your job! (the one you get money for or aka freedom chips ) LOL

Zen Jen said...

I like it ;) Freedom chips !
I've been reading Dear Dolphin though... and, I'm getting very hesitant to set out on my own... the waters of this world are a scary place. although i believe having a level of fear is good.

Mary said...

I like the idea of "freedom chips" as well. Thanks Russ for the info on the CD. I'll try to pick one up.
I, too, agree a level of fear can be a good thing to help us create a situation where, though there is risk, we have taken precautions to reduce the risk as much as is feasible and don't act impulsively and quickly just to get through the fear part. Don't let fear paralyze you either.