Wednesday, July 11, 2007

It's only a tiny Athenian owl...

on the spreaders of a sailboat ;)

I ventured out into tattoo territory. I've wanted a tattoo for like, over 10 years...
A couple weeks ago, the idea of what I wanted popped into my head and I went for it!!!

I had been feeling kinda weak, emotionally that is, and I wasn't sure how I was going to snap out of it (no, i wasn't quite getting the Buddhist meditation techniques to work for me this time).
But then, standing contemplating one evening, I remembered all the strength it's taken to do all I have done on the sailboat, not without the help of my friends, the wind in my sails, of course.
but still, I venture on alone for the most part, some strength coming from somewhere within.
Along my spine the tattoo represents the strength I have learned from SV Athena, a reminder for when I feel weak. You'll find the tiny Athenian owl and lettering, taken from the Athenian coin, portrayed at the spreaders of the sailboat.
Sorry mom and dad, it's a little bigger than the tiniest owl the tattoo artist has ever tattooed ;)
It didn't really hurt as much as I thought it would... Vicki provided moral support :) My head is only face down in the pic because my neck was starting to hurt from keeping it to the side. It took a little over two hours straight for the tattooing process...
Unfortunately, for those that can't see the tattoo in person, I've been having a tough time getting a good picture that shows the detail. I'll keep trying ;)

3 comments:

Beth H said...

Can't wait to see what Mom says...it really is beautiful in person though!!

Mary said...

It looks a lot larger than I pictured it. But I love the symbolism you have attached to it and tatoos are definitely a part of the traditions of sailing vessels. I'm glad the design is on a part of the body that can easily be covered up for professional reasons. Many young people still have problems with their work settings because of tatoos. I love the design of it. I shall live vicariously through your tatoo because I am too timid to get one of my own even though it would be the size of the owl. Glad I didn't guess the surprise ahead of time because I would have worried about infection and the like (typical Mom behavior).

Beverly said...

Wow! You really did it!

Employers do not hire young adults with visual tattoos which will not be the case for you!

Now I cannot wait to see it in person!

Good for you!

Beverly