Thursday, June 12, 2008

Handrails...

After relaxing in the new place, it's time to get back to work!!!!
Russell mentioned the topside handrails are a little on the loose side...
They need to be sanded and varnished anyways, so what better way than to remove them.
Not an easy or neat task though.
First the topside handrails (top pic left) are directly opposite the interior handrails (top pic right).
Therefore... inside handrails need to be removed to remove the exterior handrails.
This involves chipping out nice wood plugs (mid pic left) to access the screws that hold the interior handrails to the fiberglass (lower pic right).
Once the interior handrails were removed, I discovered a second set of separate screws holding the exterior handrails to the fiberglass (lower pic left). There is a small gap between inner and outer layers of fiberglass.
With removing these handrails I discovered that the one set of screws holding the exterior handrails can be lengthened to add strength, and the set of screws holding the interior handrails on just barely exit the outer fiberglass and enter the exterior handrails. I think I can make this setup stronger by lengthening the set of screws that go straight to the exterior handrails and by lengthening the screws that go through the interior handrails so they also hold onto the exterior handrails. I will probably only be able to do this on the middle four of six contact points between handrail and fiberglass. The two contact points on the ends taper down and won't be able to have lengthened or additional screw points.
Fingers crossed this all goes well, but first to sanding and varnishing...
I'm also debating whether or not to sand and re varnish the interior handrails. I think they are stained and I'm not if they are teak or some other wood like mahogany. I think I've resigned to re sanding them even though they were recently varnished (by other), since the new wood plugs will need to be somehow blended in...
The lower pic on the left also shows the "mess" that the previous person that varnished the interior handrails left on the fiberglass. I think I'm going to try and remove that dirty varnish somehow...

No comments: