Saturday, December 13, 2008

No water Nowhere Everywhere Else

It seems there's not much water for sailing in Florida.
Been having difficulty finding a nice wet boat slip with some water in it relatively close to work.
Left the Venice area in hopes of finding more water.
Still, no true success.
Woke up this morning with the keel probably a good 1 to 2 feet into the silt... there was definitely no turning of the rudder, which is kinda not a great thing as I wonder about the silt getting into the lower rudder bearing.
Looking east to the 41S bridge, there were mud flats showing that don't normally show... even at low low tide, and, of course, it's the worst the yacht basin staff have seen it in years this morning....
Well, it has been quite the winter so far this year, and, it's not even officially winter yet!
There was no "easy" step off the boat this morning. Instead I used the stern ladder and the kayak. Dinghied to the dinghy dock. Kinda weird to dinghy to the dinghy dock when the big boat is already at the dock...
5 hours after low tide... I was still aground, though, I was at least out of the mud enough to hoist myself up onto the dock the usual way by hugging the large wood piling I'm usually trying to keep Athena off of, and stepping onto the nondescrip step that can be seen in the photo on the left.
For "fun" I've included the look to the south at the neighbors aground. You can definitely see the rudder of the sailboat two boats over, and the fixed dock high above the boat decks.
It's been all I can about deal with worrying about the SV Athena in the new home...
Spent most of the day cleaning the boat and napping, since I was kinda stuck on her most of the day.
Needed the sleep though... been working hard yes, but also having been woken up at least two nights this week, and three within the last less than two, with the wind like a freight train coming through the yacht basin out of the northwest, and having to get up at 2 AM to adjust the lines to save poor Athena from smashing up against the large wood piling on the south side. Makes for a stressful fitful sleep, oh wait, I'm not sure I really fell back to sleep on those nights... Particularly since the winds from the fronts were so strong, it was difficult to pull her tight enough to another piling to get off of the piling she was dangerously close to.
Imagine stepping out into the dark cold windy night and wondering if when you undo the dock line to tighten it, you might actually loose her closer to the piling because the wind is blowing so hard... After attempting to tighten her, I'd crawl back down below, listen to the winds, the creaks, the banging of the halyards on the mast (no fixing of which did anything in these winds), and wonder if a tornado was coming... or, if we'd just be smashed up against the piling.
I've been reading Steven King's "Duma Key" and his books are pretty scary, but, I'm not sure which is scarier... nightmares from scary story book, or nightmares during fitful sleep worried about sailboat...

Now, I'm sure you're all thinking... surely there are other boats in the marina... yes, yes, there are. Most of them hire someone to take care of their dock lines, or they have this elaborate contraption of dock lines going, which is what I was trying to avoid...

The other thing I've discovered about this particular yacht basin is the nice dock hands go around loosening everyone's dock lines when they get tight when the tide goes out... but, they never loosen back up again! then, wouldn't you know, the tide rises, and the cold fronts come through, and the boat is free to bang the pilings. The problem herein is that, my life doesn't currently revolve around being at the boat continuously to follow behind everyone that undoes everything. I need to be able to tie her and go...

So, I've been thinking about moving again... torn with what to do.
I moved here hoping to get out and sail more. of course, this weekend was a no go for sailing with the keel in the mud more hours than not... but, that's not every weekend. and, cold fronts don't come through every night... but, there are still 8 dock lines to contend with. It's just not an easy dock to singlehand in/out to/of.
Not to mention that one evening this week coming home late from work I actually threw my back out getting onto the boat in an apparently bad way because she was difficult to reach since I've been trying to set the lines to keep her off the piling... urgh. can't seem to win on this one.
I guess these are some of the trials of living a daily working life from a sailboat.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am truly amazed at the lack of water! But this quote from the marina you are considering really explains it quite a bit! "While the lunar tidal range is very small in this part of the world, Winter brings wind-driven (NE) low tides while Summer heralds wind-driven (SW) high tides making our Floating docks very desirable for easy boarding." The winter NorthEaster we just had was a humdinger up here in the North and many people are not expecting power till this coming Thurday. That would be 6 days without power and the temperatures are expected to drop within the next couple of days. The Marina you are considering seems to be very friendly and they seem to love pictures! Looked through a good many pictures (when you click on some of the individual pictures you end up in a whole album). Looks like some special people live there that truly enjoy each other's company. Also, found the dinghy picnic an interesting activity.
Love,
Mom

Anonymous said...

Will this tide effect occur often? This time of year and certain winds blow the water out of my marina and the same thing can happen. It could just depend on the weather.

Zen Jen said...

Leah,
I sort of kind of try to keep where I am docked a "secret" although there are usually enough clues...
send me an email and I'll tell you where I'm at and where I've been. I think to send an email via the blog site you click on "sailorette" but I'm not 100% sure... I'll try it out without being logged into the site.