Thursday, March 06, 2008

Early March Trip to Panther Key

Sailing to Panther Key with company...
I guess this is what it's like to sail with an autopilot. Set course, and sit back and relax...
Somewhat odd to be sailing on Athena and not constantly at her helm...
Kinda nice :)
I was able to run up front and watch all the pods of dolphins that kept playing at Athena's bow! Camera wasn't ready for pictures at that time though, unfortunately :(
Dolphins everywhere and all around us.
Two fantastic days of sailing.
A sea turtle surfaced right off starboard about 12 feet from us first day of sailing.
Anchored out near Panther Key the next morning, a sea turtle surfaced first to our starboard, then within 6 feet port aft. The sound of the turtle's breath just amazing as we relaxed the morning away on deck. Certainly didn't feel like leaving when the time came, but return I guess we must.
I decided to click some pictures of Coon Key, since I didn't get many other pics this trip.
Forgot easy click camera and batteries of good camera were not charged. Decided to charge them off the boat batteries with an inverter.
Past Coon Key at high tide and the shallow spots, decided to extend the trip and sailed into Sugar Bay, where we dropped anchor for lunch and more dolphin watching and relaxing before turning on the motor and finally heading in to the dock.
After beautiful days of sailing, when the sails are brought in and the engine turned on for motoring, the sailboat all of a sudden seems to be such a slug. Moving so gracefully and beautifully under sail, the sailboat is simply not to be motored. There is no peace in the motoring of a sailboat.
The next day after sailing, all was not right in the world. I don't know why, but even after being off land for only 26 hours, I feel so out of place back in the office. blah. Wish I could go back out tomorrow.

1 comment:

Mary said...

That pod of dolphins is beautiful. For many of us being stuck in an office truly is feeling out of place. I personally am spending less time there if I can at all help it. It is not where I do my best work.