Wednesday, August 30, 2006

What does one do in the rain on a boat?

What does one do in the rain on a boat while the tail end of a tropical storm goes by?
Read, write, "play," play games, nap...
Perhaps clean one's boat !!!!

The "breeze" was kickin', the sky was spittin', in the boat hid the kittens. Up on deck, Jen was a scrubbin'.

I hadn't cleaned the sailboat for quite some time. Earlier in the year, during the winter dry season when the Osprey were constantly leaving "presents," it seemed all I was doing was cleaning the boat. Having the Osprey finally fledge and the mast off the boat for some time, I enjoyed a clean boat. With mast back up, I've had some presents, but it hasn't been too bad yet. No catfish wings or backbones of late.
However, this green algae-like stuff appears to have started growing on the boat, along with some other mildewy type growths. Being from New England this type of growth reminds me of something that should occur on the North side of a tree or rock, or anywhere if you're in Maine ;)
but not Florida, the sunshine state! how can that be?
Well, I guess this stuff likes the Florida rainy season cause it liketh my boat!

For some reason cleaning the sailboat clears my head in some ways and lets thoughts, ideas, and creativity flow in others. At one point, I even thought I felt the spirit of Alexis Dare, the current name of the sailboat, even though I lovingly call her Athena. With the denaming and renaming planned for the fall equinox, September 23rd, just 24 days away, I become a little nervous about changing her name. But, I sense that she just wants to enjoy the last few weeks as Alexis Dare, but knows Athena will take her into the next part of her story. The actual history of a boat can never truly be taken away or changed. Silly for the sailor to develop a denaming ritual that removes all traces of her past. Although most guidance I had found suggested destroying all notation of the boat's name before denaming and renaming, I think I will follow the guidance of my good friend Capt. John, who suggested afixing her old name on her somewhere. I feel that is something I must plan to do.

All cleaned, I stood on Alexis Dare and watched the fading feeder bands of Tropical Storm Ernesto sweep across the sky whispering of the louder center storm.

No comments: