Wednesday, January 24, 2007

New Stove

Well, there was much discussion over putting a stove back in Athena. She originally had an alcohol stove, which I heard are subject to quick bursts of nearly invisible flame if they're not operated just right...
However, after struggling with using the solar oven, I caved into getting a propane stove. It's difficult to use the solar oven. It's rather large in size, and thus takes up considerable storage room, and then there's the tracking of the sun... really one can only use this method when the boat is stationary, and even then, the only time the boat is really stationary is when at a dock. At anchor the boat is always swinging with the wind and tides making it difficult to truly track the sun with the oven, particularly when one is off exploring and not on the boat!
So, after waiting one and one half months (a special order...), the stove finally arrived.
I installed on January 21st.
I did need to make larger the original cutout for the previous alcohol stove.
Lucky for me, I have great friends with tools :)

4 comments:

Beth H said...

I'm expecting great things out of that kitchen now!!

Mary said...

Yeah!!!!! There will be a place to use the pressure cooker when it comes!

Anonymous said...

Humm...

Sailorette is also handy with tools, smart, and did I mention beautiful!!!!!!

Silly Goose

Anonymous said...

Please do be careful with the propane tank, it can be very dangerous if the gas settles low in the boat, i.e. in the bilge.