Sunday, January 21, 2007

Portraits of Sailorette (Mom's View) - by Mary


Being the proud mom of Sailorette, I took lots of photos of her adventures during our first sails together (Hope there are many more to come!).
Here she is reading. Here she is fixing the dock.
Here she is listening to Russell tell her about Athena’s wiring.
(Both Bev and I recognized him as a great teacher right away.) Sailorette is lucky to have him for a mentor.
Here is Sailorette with Patty (Yes, the now famous Patty that swam in the cove!).
Here is Sailorette getting ready to sail off in her dinghy (That was a bit scary because Bev and I were left on Athena alone.



We, of course, were thinking, “She’d better come back!”)




She did and not much after coming back on the dinghy, she decided to go for her first adventure on the kayak (Patty’s favorite hiding place on deck.).
















Sailorette said she would be paddling around the island we anchored near but shortly after taking off she was back with a piece of driftwood for Lynn. I sure hope Lynn appreciates that piece of driftwood. If I could have put it in my luggage I would have tried to bargain it away from Sailorette.



Finally, after paddling around the island, Sailorette took pictures of the brown pelicans we were anchored near.

And then there was the surprise cell phone call. (My cell phone didn’t work out there but Sailorette’s did. )
But even though pictures can say a thousand words, I’d still like to try to give a portrait in words as well. Sailorette moves so boldly, shows strength but still has a soft touch for the kitties, chops fruit so adeptly she could be a sou (not sure about how that is spelled) chef. Sailorette can be funny and silly and serious within moments of each. She learns quickly. So quick you don’t need to say things twice. Sailorette is caring about people and the earth. Though I do think the earth has an edge over people at times. Probably a good thing though because the earth needs more caring people like Sailorette.

Part three tomorrow!

3 comments:

Zen Jen said...

Great pics mom!!!
I love seeing someone else's view :)

Zen Jen said...

It also makes me really miss sailing and being at Panther Key! It's been over a week :(
I couldn't sail this weekend cause i've been stuck on land dog-sitting.

Mary said...

At least you have the boat to come back to. Bev and I had to come back to 8 degree weather and we have had snow off and on but not enough to be pretty. Just enough to be dreary and somewhat nasty for driving. Uncle Steve was in a skidding accident last Thursday. He wasn't skidding but stopped and someone skidded into him! They're now talking about the possibility that the car is totaled.