Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Last week of freedom trip....

Well, this is the last week of "freedom," I've been successfully unemployed for almost 7 weeks now. It's been wonderful.
I've experienced many things I may not have otherwise experienced without this time....


What better way to spend my last week off than sailing....
A day later than I anticipated, I headed south to catch the winds that were out of the NNE, but would be switching to out of S-SE soon...

After being out on the water for a while, and being tossed around like salad again, I decided at the last moment to jibe and head into Indian Key, not all that protected an anchorage, but things calmed down a little bit once in.

The pics are of Indian Key.
~ Athena is "hiding" in the first pic on left...
~ First pic on right is part of beach on Indian Key, albeit, not the prettiest part...
~Second pic on left shows Indian Key obviously got some of the brunt of Hurricane Wilma, which came tearing through this area about 1.5 years ago... hard to believe it's been that long.
~ Second pic on right is sunset through a key that is just to the northeast of Indian Key, the key I was trying to "hide" behind from the winds and waves...
~ Third picture on left is all the "shells" washed onshore Indian Key. Lots of worm coral.
~Third picture on right shows "company" behind Athena. They came in while I was kayaking and exploring Indian Key. They closed up and went to bed early, it seemed... then left before I woke in morning, well, at least before I actually woke-woke up, and not just to check the anchor. Would have liked to meet them. It gets lonely sailing alone... I'm a little shy though, and not always confident that every sailing group wants to talk to others...
After a tiring day of sailing, had to enjoy sunset with wine, of course ;)
check out this wine, Goats Do Roam. a couple significances here... the wine is from South Africa, my mom might appreciate that since she and the rest of my fam (father and brother) visited there last year or the year before, i forget now. the other significance is that of the goat! being Capricorn, the sign of the goat, i just thought it interesting that "goats do roam" ;)


1 comment:

Mary said...

these are some beautiful pictures! As for the wine, I don't recognize the brand but the South African wines are supposed to be quite good. We did do wine tasting while down there. Now down there is quite a place to be where the Indian Ocean meets the Atlantic!