Monday, February 02, 2009

Sink the boat sink

On a very Florida chilly day... I discovered the sink drain had cracked and separated completely from the sink. For those that don't know... the water level rises up the sink drain to the level equal to that outside the boat. For SV Athena, this means not too much further below the point where the sink drain separated!!! It is always best to keep these fittings up above the water line!!! Upon discovering this near drowning... I plugged the old sink drain pipe still stuck in the drain hose attached to the thru-hull (pic top left), and then closed the thru-hull, which this one, unfortunately, has had some deterioration over the past 30 years of its life and allows water to pass even when closed, although not at the rate as if it were wide open. Needless to say, I had nightmares about water being over the floorboards that night....
The next day, after considering getting a new sink, which I have considered previously, I poo-poo'ed the thought (because I couldn't find a close enough match) and went out to obtain new attachments. Not without first, unfortunately, being befuddled by car flat tire... urgh. My bad car kharma never ceases to amaze me... although I'll take that over bad boat kharma! Finally, with car tire plugged (hours later...) and new parts in hand, I attempted to attach new part to the sink... (pic top right) this was not done on a first time trial. Gave new meaning to me to the phrase, "if at first you don't succeed... try try again..." and then try try try again! each time with added brute force and ignorance... all of a sudden, wa la! it went on... never to get back off again when I attempted later after frustration at trying to get hose onto new attachments.... Since I'm always learning something new it seems, I'm not always approaching things in the bestest ways.
Well, unfortunately, given the statements above regarding water level... my new fittings required cutting about an inch and a half off the existing drain hose, however this is still above the water line... while she's sitting nicely at the dock and not heeled over that is...
It was near impossible for me to get the new drain part into the existing drain hose. Not a new frustration. Although thankful in many ways that these fittings are usually very tight, since I'd rather have them tight than loose. But, distraught and fearing not getting this done led to my calling my hero, Russell. After talking through the options, I decided to sand down the barbs on the new plastic attachment. After that, the new drain slid nicely into the drain hose. Not that I'm all that thrilled about the the somewhat now loose fit. I suppose I could have not sanded so much... You can bet I tightened those hose clamps on as tight as I could (bottom pic right).
I may add a third!
Sink is working again, and life aboard can return to some kind of "normality..."

No comments: