Saturday, February 14, 2009

So, I have this plan...

It's my "five year" plan.
I think every boater has a plan... to someday depart the dock they are currently tied to...
I use to think I would not (emphasis on 'not') follow through with my plan if I was still single when the select date arrived.
On this, the very day that everyone celebrates love and being in love (phewy), I've decided I'm going whether I'm singlehanding or not.
So, only 1,786 days to go... or 255 weeks... or 58.5 months... or just under 5 years... to go.
January 5, 2014.
It is sort of bleak though, when one is looking down a five year tunnel from the very beginning of that tunnel.
Although... saying I'm 8 months into a 5.5 year plan does sound better... maybe. except. it doesn't actually put me any further along than I am today.
But, perhaps. One could almost say that I'm half way through a ten year plan. since this whole sailing adventure started almost 5 years ago now...
There was falling in love with the sailing dream, March 2004, I think it was. The beginning.
Moved to Florida October 2004. Fell in love with Florida.
Sailed SV Tybee from Key West to Ft. Myers Beach February 2005. Furthered the fall in love with sailing.
SV Athena found me October 2005. Under a different name at the time, but according to legend the old boat name is not to be spoken or written again...
Received a card from a dear friend that contained the writing that inspired SV Athena's name December 2005.
Moved aboard SV Athena July 2006.
One year anniversary of SV Athena finding me, and first sail on Athena with friends October 2006.
Officially named SV Athena, and first singlehanded sail November 2006.
Now it's been 3.5 years since SV Athena found me and just over 2.5 years since moving aboard.
And all the other hard work in between to make it all possible.
Day 1786 is almost up.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So I have come up with a symbol. A sea turtle. You can start with the turtle shell and each year completed add a paw with the final year being the head or the first year being the head. Since turtles can pull in their appendages the image would make sense all the time. Since the turtle is a sea turtle that travels the seas, that would be a good parallel. Since the sea turtles return to land to lay eggs they are also land bound more so than other sea creatures. Since they are endangered, they represent your desire to protect the environment. Turtles have also represented a part of you since you were born (you were slow in coming to us).
Love,
Mom

Zen Jen said...

I like it!