Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Key West Race Week 2008 - Windy!

With 40 knot winds on the first day of race week 2008, the first day of racing was canceled.

But, not until they sent us out to the race course! Our S/V clocked a true wind of 39 knots while we were out there, steady in the 30+ knot range. I enjoyed just being out in the weather to see what it would be like, since I don't put myself through such conditions generally...

On the Beaufort Scale a mean wind speed of 30 knots is "near gale" force... a mean wind speed of 37 knots is "fresh gale" with wave height of close to 6 feet. I wonder what they mean by "fresh"... a mean wind of 44 knots is "Strong Gale." hmmm...

With wind and waves it was a rather wet start to the week...
I think the boat speed got up to 14 knots, or was it a couple more...?

The day prior, given the weather reports, I purchased foul weather gear (pic of me on left in my new pants), and a new inflatable PFD that I've been meaning to get for some time... Yes, mom, I finally have it!

The second day of the race, with winds blowing nicely, we completed three races taking 11th, 28th, and 15th out of 34. that darn second race...
Tuesday was great racing and our team made it into the color photo section of the daily race week paper! see pic (courtesy of Tim Wilkes, check him out on the web, http://www.timwilkes.com) on the right, action shot getting ready to hoist the spinnaker!
Windy wet days call for rinsing of gear back at the dock!!!
There was never a shortage of smiles from our team during the whole week :)

1 comment:

Mary said...

You look great in that new gear especially the PFD!!!