Wednesday, January 02, 2008

How much Stuff can one have on a sailboat?

I spent last evening further cleaning and organizing the sailboat in preparation for visitors.
I did more organizing and by the end of the evening found that the boat was starting to actually look a little organized and quite homey. Organizing the sailboat always gets me thinking about stuff and how much stuff one has and how much stuff one really needs. For, if one has too much stuff, it's difficult to make a small sailboat look clean and organized!!
In fact, one of the reasons I really love living on a sailboat is because of the lack of "stuff" that I can reasonably keep on the sailboat and therefore I'm a lot less likely to acquire things, i.e. "stuff," that I don't really need. In fact, I find living on the sailboat a great excuse for telling others NOT TO GIVE ME ANYTHING!!!! Unless, of course, it's something useful for the sailboat ;)
In my humble opinion, minimizing the amount of "stuff" one has is a really good way to minimize one's footprint on this wonderfully beautiful planet.
Minimizing stuff means that one is minimizing consumerism or an inherent consumption of resources.
Everything on this planet takes resources to create and we don't always see the full cost of those resources in the cost of the item we have acquired.
Not to mention all the waste in packaging that goes along with acquiring all that "stuff."
Not that I'm perfect by any means, but I probably have a lot less stuff then most citizens of the U.S. I won't compare myself to the world, because there are many many many people in this world with a lot less.
I find it very fitting that one of my New England friends, Cyndy , just passed along the following very worthwhile to watch 20 minute video on STUFF!
Thank you Cyndy!!

The Story of Stuff
http://www.storyofstuff.com/
"Ever wonder where all our "stuff" comes from and where it goes? Here is a short (20 minute) video that provides a detailed yet entertaining look into stuff, how our system of producing stuff is in crisis, and identifies how we might move towards more sustainable systems.
From its extraction through sale, use and disposal, all the stuff in our lives affects communities at home and abroad, yet most of this is hidden from view. The Story of Stuff is a 20-minute, fast-paced, fact-filled look at the underside of our production and consumption patterns. The Story of Stuff exposes the connections between a huge number of environmental and social issues, and calls us together to create a more sustainable and just world. It'll teach you something, it'll make you laugh, and it just may change the way you look at all the stuff in your life forever."

No comments: