Wednesday, January 14, 2009

8 day trip, day 8

Well, after a rocking rolling night, we woke, I mean, that would imply we were sleeping... we finally rolled out of bed, raised the anchor and got the flock out of there.
Now, I'm not the type of person to subsist on very little sleep... So this last full day of our trip was already starting off on a little bit of an unsteady foot... As we raised sails and headed north, there was also the realization that this was indeed the last full day of the trip. I have this bad habit of finding myself in a really bad mood when I know the end is near...
Which reminds me of the torture I put my friends through on New Year's Eve night when I sang....
"And now, the end is near, and so I face, the final curtain.
My friends, I'll say it clear, I'll state my case, of which I'm certain.
I've lived a life that's full, I've traveled each and every highway.
But more, much more than this, I did it MY WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
- Frank Sinatra
and, I'm instantly brought back in memories to standing on a football field with marching band fans singing along and tears running down my eyes, huge smile on my face, for a show well done and a life lived fully and intensely.
I know we all think we know how everyone else should be living, but really, the only thing we know is how we ourselves should be living.
And sometimes I think were pretty lucky if we even know that much.
The best we can do is live life in our own way, fully and intensely.
Like a snowflake, or even like a sunrise or sunset,
no two lives are ever the same.
Anyways, I digress.
My mood this day did not improve as the winds once again died on us and I really did not want to motor, but there was no chance in "pure hell" that I was anchoring off shore again this night.
I made two attempts at getting the flasher sail up... By the second attempt I was fuming and my sailor's mouth was in full force. I could not get the darn thing untangled. Some kind of disaster had happened with the lines and I had no patience. I'm sure my crew was beginning to wonder if we'd make it through the day... I swore at the flasher I swore at the lack of wind I swore I swore I swore... and then.... I swore some more!
And then I went quiet. My mind flustered and traveling to other places. wondering how indeed I'm suppose to be living this life. Then the off shore wind which had died, suddenly switched and came screaming on shore. We raised sails and were off like bandits. Hauling past Bonita and Ft. Myers Beach. We passed under the Sanibel Bridge for the return, traveled down the sheer hell miserable 4 miles, and anchored behind Sanibel for a most incredible sunset.

1 comment:

Mary said...

So the universe was helping you learn! I'm kind of glad I wasn't sailing on this day though at least at first. What a great ending though! A truly beautiful sunset!