Tuesday, January 20, 2009

More fronts...

Well, life in Florida isn't all sunshine and summer fun all year round...
I'm not sure what count we're up to for this winter season 08-09, but I was once again awoken at 2AM by a front passing through like a freight train and wondering if a tornado was lingering somewhere near... my eyes straining into the darkness but afraid to look at the same time. It's at these times I most do not wish to be alone...
The boat was rocking this way and that, I felt like I was at the arcade on the bucking bronco! the floating docks were oscillating up and down and sideways on the chop and I could see in the faint light emanating from shore that white caps were crashing over the dock, probably like the one I "caught on film" this afternoon during my lunch time break home to check on things (p.s. the splash I caught in this pic is not even as bad as many I otherwise saw and got soaked by...). I added yet another dock line to SV Athena. Now up to 9 dock lines and 5 tie points.
of course at night, everything is heightened. Peppermint Patty and I were huddled in the salon from 2am to 3am waiting for the winds and waves to subside, checking the internet weather and seeing the front line roll down the Florida peninsula. I watched as it headed south towards my "more southern" friends...
Today, after spending the morning in my office feeling like I was still on a boat and continually finding myself swaying in my chair and feeling the need to hang on to something... my walk down the dock for lunch was wet (meaning, i got wet) and I watched as the dock undulated beyond and saw the 3 inch up and down oscillation and 1 inch side to side slide on the pilings. sometimes I think because I live on a dock I kinda sorta live on land... today I do not feel like I live on land!
lunch time, day light, as I write this, Pirate Peppermint Patty is meowing to get out... and I say... "you do not know what you wish for...."
and, I think to myself, how many times have you found yourself longing to escape from where you are, but seemingly withheld by some other force beyond yourself. Perhaps not knowing the storm that is brewing or thrashing just beyond... Perhaps there is just no way for you to know what you wish for... Perhaps something larger than you knows what is best...

2 comments:

Mary said...

You could live your life by that philosophy and be well served.

Anonymous said...

Hello Sailorette,

Just wanted to say hello and glad you are still doing well.

Silly Goose