Saturday, January 17, 2009

Peppermint Patty Spot

Another Peppermint Patty spot. I may have to change this blog to "Patty's Sailing Adventures!"
Enjoying a lovely evening on the dock. Jazz music in the air as Jazz on the Green plays into the evening in the park on the river a stone throw away.
Down below I'm washing dishes thinking Patty isn't roaming down the dock too far...
Well that sly cat, she was!
I decided to check on her and she was no where to be found! I started to panic a bit... tried not to... but she has fallen into the water before on the previous floating dock that we use to luxuriate on.
So, the scene is familiar... I'm wondering around the dock calling "Peppermint... Peppermint..."
and now the jazz music is seeming really too loud as I'm straining for any signs of splashing because she is no where to be found in the general vicinity!
Still trying to keep the panic at bay... I continue further down the dock. then, i spot her! on someone else's boat, of course!
Her nick-name isn't pirate peppermint patty for nothing!
She continues exploring the boat while I try to coax her my way so I can grab her by the scruff of her neck. She'll have none of that... she wanders further away to the far side of the boat, eventually jumping up onto a skinny portion of the deck. I walk over to another area of the dock for a better view and keep calling to her. There may be some gentle swearing in there at this point.... I have been known to swear occasionally...
then, in horror, i watch her try to jump up a very steep part of the deck to an upper area that's about her front paws stretch as she stands on her back paws. The jump is unsuccessful as she comes skidding back down to the skinny part of the deck with no toe rail. I don't know how she does it, but she manages to stay on the boat while I'm freaking out thinking she's going right over, three foot drop into the water! not being successful at getting to the top deck... she tries again! right in front of my fearful eyes!!! now i'm really swearing "nicely" at her to get the flock off the boat! it's then that i realize there are lights on and hatches open in the sailboat next door... well, that's about it, I can't have the neighbors listening to me swear at my cat that's sneaking onto other's boats. Finally I grab her and haul her back home and stick the leash on her! infuriated she stares into space with a scorned look. Eventually she decides to come back down below. We're sitting nicely in the warm glow of holiday white lights with the jazz in the background, writing this story... when suddenly, she makes a break for it and leaps out the companion way which only has two boards instead of three. I grab her through the v-birth hatch by the scruff, drag her down below, and ground her!

1 comment:

Mary said...

I hadn't heard the nickname of Pirate Peppermint Patty but it certainly fits! She reminds me of the female pirates in the movies of late. I also remembered that she looks a lot like Socks, President Clinton's cat while he was in the White House.