Thursday, July 06, 2006

Standing Rigging

The standing rigging on a sailboat should be changed every 10 years or so they say...
Who knows when Athena's standing rigging was last changed.

In attempting to keep tuned to the flow of the universe, I happen to be at a party that my friend Brian invited me to. At the party were a few sailors, including one that did rigging, who's name will be kept confidential... let's call him Vern ;) Now Vern is a really nice helpful guy and is willing to help me with replacing my rigging. All excited that the universe works in wonderous ways, I had Vern inspect my sailboat, which is located only a few houses away from where he is currently living, very convenient of the universe I'm thinking... Vern inspected and gave me the crushing news that replacing the standing rigging he estimated at $3,400, and that did NOT included fixing the dent in the mast and the bent spreader. ugh. At that moment, for a multitude of various emotions culminating with this value, I considered giving up and selling the boat... It seemed at the time, more than I was willing to give. Perhaps Athena would remain a houseboat as opposed to a sailboat... Of course, this doesn't mean that Vern isn't a nice person, I think he had/has too many other priorities in his life to connect with mine.

Anywho, as fate would have it ;) advice flowed from other friends and I was introduced to Russell.
The positive energy was instant, and I was excited about working on Athena again, and have been plugging away with determination ever since.

Reflecting on meeting Vern and Russell, I was reminded that adversity is the reference point for knowing when the universe is truly flowing. Without having gone through the set back of lost motivation after attempting to work with Vern on my rigging, I might not have been as appreciative as I am of the very positive energy and working relationship with Russell. I am most greatful for all of my experiences, good and bad, as they set reference points for appreciating the importance of each other.

I have met many wonderful people on this quest to restore Athena, and I know I will meet many more.

As for the standing rigging, Russell has allowed me to learn again how to do things hands-on myself.

The 1st photo here shows the starboard shrouds connected to the chainplates (2nd photo showing removed and cleaned), which pass through the deck (potential rain leak spots), and are secured to the boat's hull.

No comments: