Thursday, July 20, 2006

What size footprint?




Everyone has an impact on the Earth. Some more than others. Living on the sailboat is one of my efforts towards minimizing my impact on the Earth - a small footprint.
My sailboat is to me like my little home off the grid, and by it's nature, it's smaller than most homes and there's no well manicured yard ! I'm not quite there yet, but working towards complete reliance on solar power. I've been basking in solar showers; have plans to obtain a solar oven; minimize water use; increase solar panels (already a small one hooked up to my batteries); and, eat vegan with plans to eat more raw foods (two raw food "cook" books already in hand). Although it may not seem obvious, our consumption, in ways beyond the consumption of food, determines our footprint.
What size footprint will you leave?

1 comment:

Mary said...

This posting gives one pause. The footprint pictures are very intriguing especially the middle one. It looks to be raised rather than depressed. Certainly, a barefoot footprint takes less space and has less impact than a shoed foot. So perhaps deep down depression can be tied to having a "heavy footprint". Emotionally living lighter on the earth could go a long way to less materialism and more focus on the spirit.