Monday, December 31, 2007

First solo trip of sailing season '07-'08

December 29th to 30th marks the first solo sail of sailing season '07-'08.
Left the dock bright and early on Saturday at 0630... or, should I say, dark, foggy and early...
It was dark and foggy at 0630, but with running lights on we (being SV Athena, Peppermint Patty, and I) left the dock.
Motoring/sailing in the dark is one thing. Motoring/sailing in the dark fog, yet another...
We took it slow.
While the fog was still hanging around and the sun was rising, I could only see a circle of fog around me. No land, even though land would have been in sight. I thought to myself, "It's just me and God now."
I know, improper English.

After a while I noticed a natural occurence, which when I noticed it's true shape, I immediately named, white rainbow.
It was like a rainbow in shape. I could see both ends where a pot of gold might be. It was resulting from the low position of the rising sun before me on the fog behind me. It had no color however. It was white; whiter than the fog around the white rainbow, it was defined, although not necessarily apparent to a casual observer.

I didn't try to photo the white rainbow, although it is likely I may never witness such a phenomenon again. I didn't think it would actually photograph since its existence was so slight.

Eventually the fog bank retreated, still visible over the land in the photo on the right.

1 comment:

Mary said...

Sounds like a special phenomena and perhaps could be considered a visual sign of God's promise for protection much like the rainbow in the story of Noah's ark.