Friday, November 17, 2006

4 Hp Dinghy Motor...

In keeping a sailboat going, one also needs to keep the alternative method of travel going...
The Dinghy!
I have an 8 foot plastic dinghy with inflatable ring. I have the accessories to make it into a sailing dinghy, but sometimes that's just not practical, so I have a little 4 hp outboard engine for it too. Thing I've learned about these little engines is that if you don't use them, you need to drain out the fuel.
So, mine had been sitting around unused for a number of months... It probably had some fuel left in it. The person who borrowed it previously thinking they were being "nice" by leaving some fuel for me...
Anywho, in preparing for the potential Thanksgiving trip, I decided I better get that engine fixed. So, I took it to the place I always get parts for the Yanmar engine (Athena's 15 Hp engine). I dropped it off and they called back with a quote to fix the engine for $250ish. I called back to tell them I'd be picking my little engine back up again and holding off on the repair. I was planning to take the thing apart with some of my friends and try to get the thing going. I just couldn't justify paying $250 for repair work on an engine I only paid $300 for....
So, I wasn't able to pick up the engine the day I called to tell them it was a no go. I had to pick it up the next day. I went around lunch time and i followed one of the service guys into the shop to get the engine. As we were walking back he whispered into my ear, "I didn't tell you this, but the engine is already fixed." Apparently one of the service guys was sitting around with nothing to do, so they fixed it !!! No charge to me ! Well, I just didn't know how to thank them and I didn't have any cash in my pocket...
So, I went back to the office and pooled my friends, what should I do...
Brian had this great idea of sending them pizza for lunch. So, the next day I called a pizza delivery place and had three large pizzas delivered to the parts department for the parts and service guys from Jen. I guess there aren't too many Jen's that stop in all the time and get parts and such, so they knew who to call. They were very appreciative of the pizza and it felt good that I was able to do something for them to show my appreciation of the great friendly service they always show me. I definitely don't get that "she's a girl, she doesn't know what she's doing" attitude from them. Even though sometimes I may not be so slick with all the terminology ;)
How cool is that !
Thank you Universe !!

No comments: