Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Electricity Quest Continues...

If I'm going to cook via electric, or use any electric 120/240 volt device via the batteries for that matter, than I'll need to use an inverter to draw the power from the batteries.
I found a calculation example:
3 amps x 120 VAC x 4 hours = 1440 watt-hours divided by 24 VDC battery environment equals 60 amp-hours.
So, for a proposed hot plate, that may draw 6 amps. Let's assume I have it on for 1/2 hour.
That's 6 amps x 120 VAC x 1/2 hour = 360 watt-hours divided by 12VDC battery equals 30 amp-hours....
I found a single burner hot plate at target for $20. It draws 800 watts. I'm assuming that means 800 watts divided by 12 VDC is about 67 amps per hour or about 33 amps in a half hour of cooking.
Why didn't I pay more attention to all this electrical stuff when I was in college!!!
Who would've known stuff in college could be useful ;p
I still have to double check, but I think my one deep cycle battery is rated at 75 Amp-hours.
I do have two batteries parallel-wired together, which means the amps of the two batteries are added together, if I have the battery switch on "both." I have a battery switch that enables me to use one, the other, or both.
So, let's say I have 150 amp-hours available... hmmm... perhaps I can use a hot plate...
Still... a 75 Ah battery can deliver (in theory) 1 amp for 75 hours, or can that be reversed? 75 amps in 1 hour? If so, then, if i'm looking at this correctly... cooking on a 6 amp hot plate for 1/2 hour just totally drained one of my batteries to "nominal charge." Which probably means I should recharge the batteries after every single hot plate cooking event! Hmmm... The deep cycle battery I have indicates it's capable of 350 cycles... I'm assuming that means discharge/recharge. I wonder if once I use the hot plate I'll probably have enough power left to start the engine to recharge the batteries (assuming I'm in a situation where I might not have solar power availability...)...

I did look at weights of larger amp batteries... upwards of one hundred and more pounds!!!
I don't think there's any way I'd be getting those on/off the boat, never mind in/out of the battery storage area down in the starboard locker!

I'm going to seek advice/council of the math genius in my office...

This power issue is making me crazy. How can I justify using up batteries... that may or may not end up getting recycled depending on what really happens when you drop off a battery somewhere... compared to the justification of an explosive non-renewable energy source of propane... I think I'm still leaning towards........ i don't know. head is spinning.

Other helpful info I found online...
12 Volt battery fully charged should read 12.7 volts on a volt meter.
12 Volt battery at "nominal voltage" or about 60% charge will read about 12.2 volts on a volt meter... not much change. definitely need the digital read out volt meter!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

And to make your head spin more check out the inverters. Look at which ones can give a continues rating for all that big wattage. And in the transfer from 12v to 120v there's a bit of a loss too.

What happens when your engine dies and you can't charge batteries your cold, misserable and really crave a hot meal. Or maybe you want to heat water to pour into the shower bag. Propane gets the job done every time. I have never seen a hot plate on any kind of cruising sailboat. But then again for docksiders it's good value.

Zen Jen said...

I'm going to West Marine tonight to order my propane stove top ! but... which propane tank should I get... hmmm... decisions decisions !!!!

Anonymous said...

Am enjoying your journey towrds "Salty Dogdom"!

I knew a couple who lived aboard a 29.9 some years back in Pensacola.
They had tow six volt (golf cart) batteries installed under the quarter berth for house needs, along with a group 27 deep cycle for starting.

Its doable...