Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Motivation... Take Two

I found some motivation...
I used the law of physics...
Something at rest stays at rest until another forces acts on it.
Something in motion stays in motion until another forces acts on it.
I've been at rest. I forced myself into action and worked on the boat from 7pm to 11pm last night.
I ran Athena's engine for a little over an hour before shutting her down and changing her oil.
I didn't change the oil filter this time because I didn't plan far enough ahead to get one. I picked up three today though! Unfortunately I didn't want the oil hanging around over the holiday weekend, so I changed it anyways. It had been a while, and I'll probably change the oil again soon so I can clean her out a little bit and change the filter.

To change the oil I have this handy dandy vacuum pump container (pictured).
I found that the darn Osprey does not like it when I run Athena's engine. Good excuse to keep her charged up ;)
Since I've taken Patty cat out to sit in the cockpit previously, and she learned that it can be fun... sometimes there are earwigs she can play with, she kept "escaping" last night. I'd find her sitting up on the bow looking down... hmmm... I better go get a big fishing net just in case...
I'd put two boards back up in the companion way to try and stop her... I'd look up to see her all stretched out trying to get out... Then she'd cry of course when I grabbed her down.




I also worked on the fresh water system. I installed one of two water pumps, the one for the main galley sink, and most of the tubing for the water system itself. I have a few more adaptors to get to finish the job !! I'll be hitting the hardware store tonight. I hope it's open...
I chose manual pumps, even though more expensive, rather than an electric pump system, to minimize power draw and keep things simple! They work by pumping with foot on the paddle lever you can see at the bottom of the picture.
Ignore the mess of wiring... I'm still in the midst of rewiring the boat...

I took a pic of one area of the water system tubing. I also include a pic from way back when I first started cleaning up the water tubing...

The majority of the water system was made up of garden hose type hose! Not that all my fixtures are perfect... There is some finangling...
The larger circle in the pictures is the access to the water tank. The smaller circle in the pictures is where an old water level indicator use to be. It was all old and corroded, so I just took it out. One less thing to worry about replacing, using electricity, and falling apart later. I replaced it with a self made circular seal (the reddish color) and a circular piece of plastic I had cut by Plastic Specialties when they were cutting the lenses for the portlights.

I cleaned out one of two water tanks. The one being in the center hull of the boat. The only way I could see the one end of the tank was to put the camera into the tank and snap a picture (see pic).
I'd let water sit in this tank too long... yucca (no, not the plant).
It was too late to fill the tank with water to fully test the new system... So, hopefully tonight. The new pump was definitely pumping air into the galley sink though :)

No comments: