Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Gratefulness & Thankfulness

Although I lost one of my anchors this past weekend to the Panther Key channel, it wasn't the end of my world. I just accepted it as fact, and was grateful that, if the anchor line was going to break, I'm glad it broke when it did while the engine was already running and ready to go, not when I was out walking on the mudflats of Hog Key far from view of the sailboat with only sailing dinghy as a means for getting back to the boat (the sailing dinghy wouldn't have gotten me anywhere very fast...).
Things could have been much worse than just loosing an anchor. The winds were blowing pretty good that day and the sailboat would have been up on the shallows in minutes.
My mom sent me an email with the following today from the "bratfactor" website www.thebratfactor.com.
"Compared to people who do not live a lifestyle of thankfulness, research shows that
grateful people:
1. Experience higher levels of alertness, enthusiasm, determination, optimism, and energy
2. Experience less depression
3. Better manage stress
4. Are more likely to help others
5. Exercise more regularly
6. Make more progress towards their personal goals
7. Have stronger immune systems
8. Have fewer symptoms of physical illness"

I'm thinking that being grateful for all that was positive about the situation, helped me deal with what wasn't so great. A good reminder to be grateful and thankful :)

1 comment:

Mary said...

I'm so glad that quote hit home. Gratefulness has been "an anchor" for me throughout my life and more so now as I "mature".