Thursday, May 22, 2008

New Waterlock Arrived & Installed

It's here! It's here! & now, it's installed!
Finally, after much trial, I am the proud new owner of a fiberglass waterlock.
Pic on the left is the waterlock installed without hoses; doesn't look like much does it... Pic on the right is with cooling water hoses installed and shows the location tucked in between the stairs (one showing) and the engine.
I have to laugh at how long it took to get from realization of pinhole leaks to installation of new waterlock. Yes, it seemed the universe was doing everything in its power to break me, but, it did not. It was a great practice of patience. I mean, what else could I do? There wasn't much I could do to change the circumstances. The only thing I can really change is the way my mind perceives the circumstances.
It's funny, at times I actually found myself pretending that I couldn't handle things, creating drama. Humans just "love" drama don't they... But really, deep down, I was just like, whatever, whatever will be will be. It was interesting to watch myself behave in a way I didn't truly feel. very interesting. I watched myself do this. My mind, perhaps the mind located within my central channel within the indestructible drop near my heart, was watching the mind of my brain... How else can one explain when one is seemingly watching one's self, watching the thought process. It seems something is inside our selves that knows beyond our brain's ability to think...
anyways, I digress. I am grateful the universe has such faith that I can handle such things...
and that life continues to give me opportunities for working to maintain a happy mind whether going through the trials of getting an engine part or having everything run smooth without a hitch; thus teaching me how to be happy whether sitting penniless on a park bench or sitting on a yacht with material wealth to the hilt.
This moment that moment, will never return again. Each step down the dock that I have to take to get to Athena, is a step in a moment of my life. I have to take it, I might as well have a happy mind and enjoy each and every moment, no-see-um eaten or not ;)
The moments do not stop going or coming. there's no stopping them, whether I'm sitting writing this blog or working on the sailboat. just have to smile and take it all in.
Now, back to business!
The day I installed the new waterlock, I also installed a new temperature sensor. I have a feeling the temp sensor was part of the overall problem with the engine, if not thE problem...
Actually, I think it was a combination of things.
Pic in the middle left is the old temp sensor (lft) and new sensor (rt). Pic on the bottom right is the new temp sensor installed.
With waterlock installed and new temp sensor in place, I started Athena's engine. She started right up. I ran her in place at the dock, including some in-gear running at near-peak throttle. I brought the engine up to temperature for sure; using the handy dandy heat sensing tool that Russell let me borrow I was able to watch parts of the engine heat up. The area of the two injectors seemed to get the hottest, which makes sense, being near the combustion chambers. That area heated up to 70 degrees Celsius. I shut the engine down for a short bit. Then started her up again, to simulate to some extent the occurrence of the overheating situation a little less than two weeks previous. Upon second restart, third restart, fourth restart, the temp sensor warning light never came on.
During this engine trial, I took another look at the engine manual. I reread the paragraph on the temp sensor (pic on bottom left) and noted the words "when the cooling water temperature reaches a specified high temperature" the alarm lamp is activated. Ah Ha! So, the engine itself can get up to a higher temp than 60 degrees Celsius, however the cooling water temp cannot. hmmm...
During my engine trials I checked the temp of those parts of the engine I thought might better be reflecting the temp of the cooling water. Those parts remained below 60 degrees C. So, I wonder if there wasn't something funny going on with the temp sensor, which only cost me $30 to replace. I think though, that the cleaning of the engine and impeller chamber and replacing zincs and waterlock was also a good idea. A lot of crud was cleaned out and it could be my imagination... but, I think more cooling water is now flowing...

No comments: