Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Wildlife Viewings

Also been seeing lots of wildlife up and down the docks.
Manatees almost every day this week. A different kind of duck. I think the duck is a red-breasted merganser. They winter or migrate through SWFL.
And, a goliath grouper (about 3 feet long) that looks like it's not doing too well :(
I think it was probably caught at depth, and like can happen to an uncareful scuba diver, the air bladder exploded into the body chamber making it impossible for this poor fish to dive back down to depth. If you're an angler, and you must do catch and release with goliath grouper at this time since any kind of harvest is currently illegal, it's important to know how to use a fish venting tool.

2 comments:

Mary said...

This grouper's problem makes me feel sad and to think it could be caused by ignorance makes me even sadder.

Mary said...

Love the pick of the duck. I have never seen this species of duck live and it is a thrill to see even in a picture.